In early 2014 I started an adventure that blew my mind: I quit my job and traveled the world as ‘The Backpacker Intern’ to trade my creative skills for room and board. After working at 32 companies in 27 countries on 7 continents I wanted to make meaningful work-life experiences more accessible for our generation. And so Wanderbrief was born. A global platform where creative freelancers trade their skills for experience abroad. Last Saturday we celebrated our first birthday!
And what an amazing journey it has been. Since our beta launch on the 4th of February 2016 our community has grown into 6481 Wanderbriefers from 87 countries.
I’m super excited to share with you that we’ll be launching Wanderbrief 2.0 in early 2017. Based on the feedback of our community we’ve implemented functionalities that make it easier for freelancers and companies to connect with each other. We can’t wait to make many more work-life experiences abroad happen.
A few things we’ve achieved in 2016 thanks to our team and global community:
- Global media exposure on Adweek, SXSW, Quote and many more
- Successful projects with Adobe, Vodafone, Amnesty International, Hvita Husid, RICOH THETA, World Merit, United Nations and other incredible partners
- Wanderbriefers worked in Amsterdam, London, Reykjavik, Paris & Berlin
- Grown a community of more than 6000 freelancers from 87 countries
- Got selected for and participated in R/GA Cannes Lions Innovation Startup Academy
- Runner up ‘Best Work Experience Provider’ at the Global Youth Travel Awards 2016
- Vodafone Netherlands selected Wanderbrief for a national campaign to inspire entrepreneurs to do more international business
- Presenting Wanderbrief at the United Nations Headquarters NYC
Every time when we send a Wanderbriefer abroad it reminds me of my time when I travelled the world as The Backpacker Intern. It’s addictively awesome and it gets me up every morning to make Wanderbrief better and more accessible for as much people and companies as I can.
Thanks so much everyone for riding the wave with us from the beginning. We couldn’t have done it without you. If you want to become part of Wanderbrief or apply as a company please check out wanderbrief.com.
Let’s use travel and creativity as a force to make the world better in 2017 and beyond!